The Monastery of St. Paul is located at the west foot of Mount Athos. It is 20 minutes from the sea and is dedicated to Jesus Christ. The monastery was destroyed many times by various causes, so its buildings belong to different periods of time. The katholikon was built just before the middle of the 19th century. The monastery has twelve chapels, more remarkable of that of Saint George with frescoes of Cretan art (1555). The monastery has also two smaller hermitages:Nea Skiti and Agios Dimitrios.
The first references of the monastery come from the second half of the 10th century, mainly from the its founderPavlosXeropotamenos and then in 1259. After the Catalonian raids, it was demoted in a cell to re-establish a permanent monastery in the third quarter of the 14th century. In the 15th century. it had been financially supported by Serbian rulers and in post-Byzantine times by rulers of the Danubian countries.Portable icons, heirlooms, sacred relics and holy vessels are kept in the monastery. The library contains 494 manuscripts and approximately 12,500 books.